Did you know that one of the fastest-rising industries today is the cosmetics industry? Apparently, it’s more than just makeup. According to the Global Industry Analysts, the worth of skin lighteners could reach up to $23 billion by 2020.
The truth is, many women these days are using skin whitening products to lighten their skin. Unfortunately, not all products are created equal.
If you are among those millions of women who aim for lighter skin, then you might consider natural skin lightening options.
Check out these 16 ways to lighten skin naturally:
1. You Can Never Go Wrong with Lemons for Lighter Skin
When it comes to natural skin whitening, lemons will always be part of the list. this is because lemon contains essential vitamins and nutrients that are capable of doing the following for your skin:
- Lightening dark spots.
- Contains alpha-hydroxy acids that breaks the bond holding the dead skin cells in your tissues.
- Rich source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that reduces the amount of melanin in your skin.
- Helps exfoliate your skin to reveal new, healthy, and glowing skin underneath.
In other words, if you are looking for ways to lighten skin naturally, lemon juice can help. Simply rub the lemon rind all over your skin once a day for a month and you will see the difference.
2. Get to Know the Amazing Benefits of Tomato for Natural Skin Lightening
You often associate tomatoes with pasta and pizza. Did you know that this heart healthy food is also one of the best natural skin bleaching remedies?
Tomato contains vitamin A that helps fade dark spots and blemishes. The vitamin B content encourages the production of new skin cells while vitamin C helps in building collagen to maintain your skin’s elasticity. If you want something that moisturizes your skin and keeps in glowing, tomato has potassium and magnesium that helps with that.
Don’t worry. Tomato is easy to incorporate in your skincare routine. Simply blend or grate one tomato, then apply on your skin. Let it stay for 20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. Drinking tomato juice every day can also help you achieve a fairer skin tone.
3. Lighten Your Skin a la Cleopatra with the Help of Milk
Rumor has it that Cleopatra put milk and honey in her tub for bathing. This is the reason why the Queen of Egypt had soft, smooth, youthful and glowing skin.
What’s in milk that makes it one of the most effective natural skin lightening remedies?
Its all because of the lactic acid content. The lactic acid in milk helps reduce your skin’s pigmentation to reveal a lighter complexion.
Here’s how to use it:
- Pour milk in a bowl. You can use goat milk or cow milk, but if you want added benefits, go for buttermilk.
- Soak the washcloth in the milk.
- Massage the washcloth in your skin and let it dry.
The best way to do this is after taking a shower. Do this twice a week for best results.
Now that you know the positive effects of milk on your skin, consider this next tip, which is also among the best natural skin lightening ingredients.
4. Yogurt: One of the Best Natural Skin Bleaching Agents Worth Trying
Not a fan of yogurt? Perhaps, you can re-consider your choice, especially after knowing that this is one of the best natural ingredients you can feed your skin.
Yogurt contains essential nutrients like protein, vitamins, and probiotics, which are both good for your skin and health. More importantly, the lactic acid content is the component responsible for lightening your skin and keeping it revitalized. If these reasons are not enough for you, then check out the other benefits of yogurt on your skin:
- Prevents premature aging.
- Fights bacteria that cause pimples and acne.
- Provides relief against sunburn.
- Reduces your skin’s discoloration.
The best part is yogurt is easy to use. Simply apply yogurt on your skin, add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice, and massage it on your face. Let it stay on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
Don’t forget to use the plain yogurt.
5. Aloe Vera: One of Nature’s Trusted Ingredients in Natural Skin Whitening
You tried using aloe vera on your hair because of its many benefits up there. Believe it or not, this herb have so much to offer, which includes skin bleaching. Just like its sisters in the skin lightening family, aloe vera is a great source of the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that reduce the darkness in your skin to restore its natural skin color.
There are many ways to use aloe vera to help in skin whitening – natural way. You can try the following techniques:
- Blend two teaspoons each of brown sugar and aloe vera gel. Scrub the mixture on your skin to exfoliate your skin and reveal fresher, whiter skin underneath.
- Combine one teaspoon each of lemon juice and aloe vera gel. Apply and massage on your face and leave it overnight.
- In a bowl, mix one teaspoon each of milk and honey, one-half teaspoon of honey. Massage this mixture on your skin and let it stay on your face overnight. Was with cool water in the morning.
- Use aloe vera gel as is. Simply extract the gel from the leaf and apply it on your face. Was with cool water the following morning.
Try them all to find the one that’s best for you. What is your favorite?
6. Let Orange Do Its Job in Lightening Your Skin
You already know the effects of lemon on your skin, especially when it comes to skincare. The question now is this: can its cousin orange have the same effects on your skin when it comes to natural skin lightening?
The answer is yes.
Similar to lemon, orange is also rich in vitamin C, a known natural antioxidant that keeps your skin whiter and healthy. The citric acid content is also an essential ingredient that helps brighten your skin naturally and gives you the perfect glow you’ve always wanted. Orange is also rich in calcium, which renews dead skin, potassium for moisturizing your skin, and magnesium to keep your skin glowing.
Orange extracts may provide the same benefits, but if you want to make the most out of this ingredient, go for orange peels. Then, try this:
- In a bowl, mix two teaspoons of orange peel powder and one teaspoon each of raw honey and yogurt.
- Apply this mixture on your face and allow it to remain on your skin for 15 minutes or at least until the mixture is dry.
- Rinse with cool water then apply moisturizer on your face to avoid dryness. For moisturizer, try Argan Oil by Skinception.
You’re just getting started. Keep reading to know more options on natural skin lightening for black people.
7. Say Hello to the Powerful Effects of Papaya to Lighten Your Skin
You will always find tons of ingredients that helps in lightening your skin naturally. Still, a list will never be complete without papaya in it.
You might ask why.
Papaya is one of the best fruits in keeping your skin healthy. This is because it is loaded with ingredients such as papain, vitamin A, and low sodium content that are essential for healthy skin. In fact, papaya provides the following benefits to your skin, because it:
- Cleanses your skin.
- Exfoliates your skin with the help of rejuvenating enzymes.
- Promotes the natural glow of your skin.
- Breaks down inactive proteins on your skin.
- Eliminates dead skin cells to reveal healthier skin underneath.
- A great antioxidant for your skin.
Here’s how you can use papaya as a natural skin whitening tool:
- Blend one cup of green papaya and one teaspoon each of plain yogurt, vitamin E oil, and honey. Blend thoroughly until it forms into a smooth paste.
- Massage the mixture gently on your damp skin.
- Let it stay on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing with cool water.
In case it didn’t work, you can always try Illuminatural 6i to lighten dark spots and helps you achieve an even skin tone.
8. Consider Almond Oil for Skin Whitening Because of Its Skin Benefits
Here’s the truth about aiming for lighter skin: you will never run out of options to try. When it comes to options, almond oil is something you should try.
Almond oil contains niacinamide, an active form of niacin that can do the following effects on your skin:
- Interferes the transfer of melanosomes from melanocytes to the keratinocytes, thereby reducing skin pigmentation.
- Minimizes the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, and age spots that contributes to darker skin.
- Helps reduce the dark circles under your eyes.
Apart from niacinamide, the vitamins A and E, and essential fatty acids found in this ingredient cleans your pores and nourishes your skin.
Here’s how you can use almond oil as a skin lightener:
- Mix equal parts of almond oil and brown sugar. Adjust the amount until you are able to achieve a paste-like consistency.
- Apply the mixture on your face in circular motion.
- Rinse with warm water after.
Do this once every night before going to bed to enjoy the whitening effects.
9. Yes, It Can: Cucumber as a Skin Lightening Ingredient
Admit it. You placed cucumber slices over your eyes to get rid of eye bags. This may be effective, but it turns out that cucumber can also be effective in lightening your skin.
Cucumber contains soothing and cooling properties that helps in keeping your skin healthy and flawless. There are also mild bleaching properties and natural skin lightening agents to boost your skin’s fairness level. The best part is cucumber is safe for all skin types.
Place cucumber slices on your face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing with cool water. You can also check beauty stores for cucumber skin toner, which you can conveniently apply on your face. You may also try looking for natural skin lightening cream with cucumber among its ingredients.
10. A List on Skin Lightening will Never be Complete Without Baking Soda in It
There are many reasons why your skin darkens. It could be due to sun exposure, genes, contact spots, scars, and skin irritation. Regardless of the reason behind such darkening of skin, one thing is for sure: there are natural remedies available to help you get your skin back to its original state.
One of the natural ingredients you can try is baking soda. It contains the right amount of sodium and pH neutralizer to help get rid of dead skin cells that contribute to darkening of skin. Baking soda also contains antibacterial, antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties that helps in clearing your skin. This also prevents the buildup of pores to even your skin tone.
Check out these various ways on how to use baking soda:
- Mix baking soda and water with 2:1 ratio. Apply the mixture on your affected skin while massaging in circular motion. Wash your face with lukewarm then cold water after a few minutes.
- Combine one teaspoon each of extra virgin olive oil and baking soda, and one-half teaspoon of raw honey. Massage the mixture on your skin then rinse with lukewarm water after 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix freshly-squeezed lemon with one-half cup baking soda. Rub it gently on your skin and let it dry before washing it off with lukewarm water.
11. Don’t Be Afraid to Look for Kojic Acid in Your Natural Skin Lightening Soap
Skin whitening soaps are sold like hotcakes these days. Blame it on the increasing demand for whiter skin, which explains why you will never run out of options.
Here’s the catch: not all whitening soaps you will find in the market are made equal. In fact, there are some soaps that don’t contain effective whitening ingredients, such as kojic acid. In fact, one of the most effective ways to make your skin fairer is by using this compound known as kojic acid.
Kojic acid, a compound derived from various fungi, is a type of skin lightening agent that inhibits the production of tyrosinase. Tyrosinase protein has the ability to make melanin and using kojic acid can minimise this production. This prevents skin pigmentation and helps lighten your skin.
Look for soaps with kojic acid as an active ingredient. If you plan to use it as a topical gel, make sure it has one to four percent kojic acid concentration.
12. Try Chamomile Tea, An Effective Way to Lighten Your Skin Naturally
One of the simplest ways that could help you relax is by taking a cup of chamomile tea, especially at night. More than just helping you achieve inner peace, chamomile tea can also be helpful in keeping your skin fair and white.
Chamomile unifies your skin tone and addresses the brown and dark spots in your skin. You can try this whitening mask:
- Pour one cup of water in a pan and let it boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add four spoonfuls of dry chamomile powder and let to boil for 10 minutes.
- Thereafter, remove the pain and drain and dispose the dry flowers.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and a few drops of rose water. Mix well.
- Apply on your face every night and you will see the difference after a few weeks.
13. More than Just for Fiber: Make Your Own Skin Bleaching Mask with Oatmeal
You know how important breakfast in when starting your day. Unfortunately, you woke up late and unable to make a decent meal, so you just grabbed oatmeal and you are good to go.
Apart from filling you up, oatmeal is one of the best ways to naturally lighten your skin. This is because it acts as an exfoliant, which helps get rid of dead skin cells that contributes to skin darkening. Consequently, oatmeal is easily accessible and readily available, so there is nothing you have to worry about.
Here’s how to use it:
- Cook two to three tablespoons of oatmeal in one cup of water.
- Once cooked, combine one egg white and cooked oatmeal. Mix well.
- Add one teaspoon of olive oil and mix well until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- Massage the mixture on your skin and let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with water after.
Do this every day for a month and you will see the difference in your skin.
There are few more natural skin lightening tips you should know, so make sure you stick around until the end.
14. Move Over French Fries, Potato Has an Even Better Function for the Skin
Have you tried pot on your skin? If not, then perhaps now is the perfect time to do so, especially if you are after lightening your skin.
You might be wondering why.
Potatoes are among the ingredients that are capable of lightening your skin naturally. It exfoliates your skin to prevent the buildup of dead skin cells that could contribute to uneven skin tone. This allows your fresher and fairer skin underneath to go out and say hello to the world.
Don’t worry. Potato for skin lightening is easy to use. All you have to do is to grate and mash the potatoes and apply it on your skin. Let it stay for 20 minutes to allow your skin to absorb its whitening effects. Thereafter, rinse with lukewarm water. Do this everyday or every other day and you will notice an improvement in your skin color.
15. Get Up Close and Personal with the Amazing Whitening Benefits of Mulberry Extract on Your Skin
If you think that the techniques mentioned above are not helpful, then try this: mulberry extract.
A native in China, mulberry has been used for medicinal purposes. Before you move on to the next post, you should know that mulberry extract can do the following:
- Contains essential vitamins like A, C, K, and E, which helps fade dark spots, enhance production of collagen, and retain moisture in your skin.
- Natural inhibitor of tyrosinase, a protein enzyme that encourages melanin production.
- Improves your skin’s form and elasticity.
- Rich in antioxidants, thereby preventing free radicals from taking over your skin and making it look dull, dry, and dark.
There are many ways to enjoy mulberry extract’s skin benefits. Here are some ideas:
- Boil one teaspoon of dried mulberry in one cup of water.
- Eat ripe mulberry fruits regularly. ‘
- Steep a teaspoon of mulberry leaves in olive oil or coconut oil. Massage it on your face before going to sleep.
Go ahead and try it.
16. Discover Asia’s Secret to Whitening Skin
There is a reason why Asians not only have healthy skin but also a whiter one. It’s all because of rice powder.
Rice powder is an uncooked rice and ground to form powder. It is known to inhibit tyrosinase, thereby preventing overproduction of melanin that could make your skin darker. Rice also has sun-protecting agents and promotes skin repair to minimize pigmentation. Lastly, rice is rich in PABA or para aminobenzoic acid that helps increase vitamin C level in your body.
Here’s how you can enjoy the ingredient’s skin lightening benefits:
- Use a coffee grinder and grind a cup of rice.
- Add milk until it has paste-like consistency.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck and let it stay for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water after.
Do this once a week and you will notice a fairer, lighter skin in just a month.
With these techniques on natural skin lightening, which of these 16 is your favorite? Go ahead, give it a try, and stick to it. You’ll say hello to lighter skin in no time.